Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tomato Basil Bisque with grilled cheese!! YUM

My bookmarked websites are becoming almost exclusively recipe sites. I think this is a good thing for my journey to becoming more of a 'foodie'. My husband's friend would be proud.

Tonight's dinner was.....drum roll.........not a complete failure. Why, I say that? We'll the soup was bland till we kicked some pep back into it's step! Direct link to the website below but the recipe for the changes I made to it for cooking are below.

Dinner for Tuesday night
1. Tomato Basil Bisque Soup - I also have seen a crock pot recipe that I will try next time. This morning I forgot to put it all together.....okay rather I slept in instead of getting up in time to put it all together.

2. Grilled Cheese- my husband made them, I confess. He is better at getting the bread nice and crispy, while I end up making burnt grilled cheese. Something to work on next time. He is also super fast at making them. I don't understand how he does it!

Tomato Basil Bisque Soup - Aprx. 30min cooking and 10-15min prep work
1 carrot, chopped - I don't bother peeling my carrots. Tastes just fine
1/2 a  yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chicken broth ( I used better than bouillon base)
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (16 ounce)  can of tomato sauce
5 large leaves of fresh basil, torn up. (Dried basil from your spice rack works as well, 1 tablespoon)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 cup whipping cream
4 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup fresh basil
2-3 teaspoons of chili power or some other hot spice you enjoy 
Directions: 
1. In a large saucepan, cook carrots, onion, and garlic in butter until vegetables are tender, but not brown on medium heat. (approximately 5 minutes)
2. Add tomato sauce, chicken broth, un-drained crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, and pepper. Bring to a boil reduce heat. Simmer (turn heat to low), uncovered, about 30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
3. Place half of the soup in a blender container or food processor bowl (make sure your food processor has a good rubber seal around the lid, otherwise cover with a towel, the liquid will come out around the edge and it is HOT!) blend or process until smooth. Repeat with remaining mixture (It is important not to over fill your blender or food processor).
4. Return all of the mixture to the saucepan. Stir in whipping cream and sugar; heat through. Ladle into warm soup bowls. Top each serving with fresh basil leaves, if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment