Saturday, August 17, 2013

Slow cooked baked beans

I cringe just a bit at the idea of eating baked beans. However, my husband has started to like a side dish now and then of them when we have gone out to eat at places that serve them. So, to go along with my 'being a foodie challenge' I am going to make them AND perfect them to his liking. Who knows maybe I would even make them in a way I would find them appetizing......or not.

So, I got up only slightly early this time and started to make the baked beans in the crock pot. My hope is when I get home this afternoon they will be okay.
For this recipe I used two websites and combined them to make my own crock pot version. I didn't have any bacon to fry up and add so I hope my husband forgives me. Next time there will be bacon!

Crock Pot Baked Beans

Ingredients
1 16oz can of pinto beans, drained
1 16 oz can of northern beans, drained
1 16 oz can of red kidney beans, drained
1 16oz can of garbanzo beans, drained
1 16oz can of butter beans, drained
1 medium sized yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup of molasses
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 teaspoons of salt
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of mustard
1 cup of ketchup
2 cloves of garlic, diced

1. Cut up the onion and the garlic then place into the crock-pot. Drain and rinse the beans and add to the crock-pot as well.
2. Start adding the sauce ingredients and then stir. If you are adding bacon to yours place a few cut up pieces mixed in with the beans and then lay the rest over the top. At least that is what one of the websites says. I will try it the next time I make it.
3. Cook on low for 8 hours.

UPDATE:
My husband and his friends all really liked the baked beans but said it was a tad bit tangy and suggested to use less molasses, so next time I will try 3 tablespoons of molasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment