Sunday, August 25, 2013

Blueberry Pavlova, that was not dinner exactly but was the best part of dinner

Do you know what this is? I had no idea, but the pictures on pinterest always make the crazy food ideas look good. This is actually a thing though, and when following the recipe, turns out AMAZING! Super good. Even though I don't think of myself as a meringue fan, with the fruit on top, it was the best thing.


For actual dinner my husband and I made turkey burgers with spinach salad and homemade baked in the oven french fries. You can make them crispy at home in the oven, just let them sit in ice cold water for 30 min or in the fridge etc in cold water till you cook them. Makes the starch leave and lets them crisp up nice in the oven.

For the dessert, I actually timed everything just right. So, you do have to bake this for an unreasonable amount of time at 200F, 1 hour! yikes, but its not that bad. Once it was done then I moved in the fries, and my husband started grilling the turkey burgers.

For the dessert I used the website here, used the recipe almost exactly. While mine was in the oven for the 1 hour I looked up other recipes and made some changes to mine. As a foodie, I will continue to do this till what I make tastes the best I can make it.

Blueberry Pavlova Prep time: 15min, Cook Time: 1 hour
Parchment paper!
4 large egg whites, or 6 medium sized egg whites
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar
1/2 cup of sugar subsititue ( I use powdered stevia) or you can use 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 Tbl spoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream (for whip topping later, told you making your own is better) if you buy yours from the store then you don't need this.
1 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries ( My husband looked up how to make a great sauce on the stove out of blueberries, if you want to make this as well make sure you have 3 cups of blueberries.

1.Preheat oven at 350F
2.Combine the egg whites, salt and the white vinegar in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high setting till soft peaks form. If you have made your own whipping cream before then you know what this looks like. If not, then I don't yet know how to tell you but maybe there is a video out there you could watch if you wanted to. Usually its when you cannot see the bubbles anymore and the liquid is firming up.
3. Mix together in a small bowl the sugar and cornstarch together and start to slowly add the the egg whites while mixing them in. After all the sugar and cornstarch has been added, add the vanilla and continue to beat on high till the fluff gets stiffer. This probably took 10 more minutes. I think when your ready to have someone else hold the electric hand mixer is when your done. At least that is what I did!
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spoon a big dollop of meringue in a circle shape, leaving an indent in the center for spooning the fruit into later. I was able to make 6 very large ones. Bake for 5-8minutes, lowering the heat down to 200F afterwards and continue to bake for another hour.
5. After the hour at 200F is done, turn off the oven and leave the door open a crack till cool inside. Then pull out the meringue circles.
6. Whip the 1 cup whipping cream in with 2 tablespoon of regular granulated sugar or 1 tablespoon of sugar sub. and I usually add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract as well. Make your whip cream topping. Takes about 10min on medium/high setting on the electric mixer.
7. If you want to make a blueberry sauce, take 2 cups of blueberries, and mash in the bottom of a sauce pan with a potato masher, add 1/3 cup of sugar or a lil less of a sugar sub.
8. Boil on medium heat for 1 min, then add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla or almond flavoring.
9. Let cool in the fridge before serving.
10. When ready to eat dessert, take your meringue circle on a plate or bowl and top with the blueberries, blueberry sauce and whip cream. Best flavors and not too rich.



No comments:

Post a Comment