Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Asparagus Risotto............I'm sorry I said asparagus!

So, the only way that I eat asparagus is in this dish. Or baked on a cookie sheet with olive oil and salt.
This is a great dish that my old roommate shared with me. I watched her make it and copied it the best I could. It tastes super good and I can even get my husband to eat it along with a few of his friends.


Asparagus Risotto Prep time: 5-10min Cook Time: 25-30min or until rice is tender
1 cup of risotto rice (yes this can be expensive rice but 1 container for $10 has lasted me a long time)
1 bunch of asparagus (cut the ends off and snap into 1-2inch long pieces, keep the heads of the asparagus separate from the stalks) if your bunch of asparagus is large, you probably only want to use half of it. Bake the other half as a side dish like french fries in the oven for another day.)
3 cups of chicken stock or better than bouillon
1 shallot (diced)
1 clove of garlic (diced)
1 cup of white wine (if don't have any right now or don't cook with wine, then leave this part out)
1 tablespoon of butter
1 container of Parmesan cheese (the good shredded stuff)

1. Saute in a large skillet the butter with garlic and diced shallot till cooked through but not browned. Add the 1 cup of rice and the 1 cup of white wine and cook on low/medium heat for about 1 minute or until the wine is gone. Then add 1 cup of the chicken stock or better than bouillon water mixture. Stir the rice every once in a while and cook with a lid on the skillet if you have one. Once the first cup of chicken stock is almost gone add the next one. Continue to do this till you have added all the chicken stock and the rice is tender. Near the end of cooking (5min left) with still a bit of the liquid in the pan add the stalk parts of the asparagus. Stir a bit to mix them in. Then, near the last minute of cooking add the head pieces of the asparagus. They fall apart if left in to cook for too long. Then turn off the heat and mix in some shredded Parmesan, salt and pepper to taste. I add the cheese to individual bowls. Makes cleaning the fry pan much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment