Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Dinner for one- chicken soup for a cold

What do you do when your alone for dinner at home? I ended up snacking for several hours and now that it is actual "dinner" time I am no longer hungry. I didn't do to well with making food tonight. I did eat a lot of green grapes and some chicken soup because I haven't been feeling well the past few days. Everyone around me apparently has a head cold.


I did create my own great chocolate craving cure though: 1 cup of finely chopped up walnuts in a food processor. Add to a bowl along with some melted dark chocolate squares and a bit of agave or honey to your tastes to slightly sweeten. I also added a spoonful of peanut butter to mine. Super Super good chocolaty snack food.

The chicken soup recipe is below that I have been making for myself whenever I feel sick because I dislike the taste of canned soup so much. The soup should be changed to your tastes. I don't like noodles in mine, some people may prefer rice. I just like the veggies, broth and chicken. Oh so good, my husband agrees. Even if your not feeling well, it makes all the difference eating fresh nourishing soup.

Chicken Soup Prep time: 10-15 min Cook time: 20 min
1 chicken breast or other cut of meat of equivalent size (chopped into small squares either before or after cooking halfway, easier I find to cut up after cooking partway)
2 large carrots (chopped)
2 pieces of celery (chopped)
2 large russet potatoes (chopped into small squares)
pinches of spices (basil, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper etc)
6 cups of chicken broth or water and bullion cubes

1. Cook the chicken in a skillet, microwave, or grill partway through. Let the chicken cool while you boil the potatoes and carrot in a pot containing water that just covers the vegetables. Add a chicken bullion cube to the boiling potatoes and carrots. Cook for 10 min or until tender.
2. Cut up the rest of the ingredients, celery, chicken and garlic. Drain the extra water from the pot and add the rest of the ingredients and the chicken stock to the pot. You can use V8 vegetable juice if you want a tomato base for broth. It is also really good this way. Add spices to taste. Simmer all together for another 10 minutes on lower heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment