Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Dinners for two!

I have been having a great week so far making meals for my husband and I. This morning I was able to crawl out of bed with the extra 10minutes I needed to place chicken and onion with sauce into the crock pot. I am trying to make shredded BBQ chicken served on hamburger buns tonight with a side salad or yams. I got the recipe out of one of the books I checked out from the library. If all goes well when we return home from work today I will update with the recipe and any changes I made for the sake of ease and cost.

I think I bought too many types of meat this last trip to the grocery store. I still have ribs, two Cornish game hens and 10lbs of beef. I have a few recipes in mind for all of those but my husband and I will only be home together for dinner tonight and then Sunday. Two days! I bought too much food to cook only for two days. I am going to get creative and store some items in the freezer. Then I will need to plan out when I am going to thaw which items out ahead of time. This food planning thing can get complicated. But that is what this journey is all about. Going to try my best and figure out how to be a better cook......and planner?

I need to ask my friend who made Cornish Game hens for me and my husband when she invited us over for dinner a few months back how she did it. They came out of the oven perfect and had a side dish of glazed baby carrots. If you have yet to make those DO IT NOW! SOOOOOO good!

I just remembered I haven't made them in awhile, they are added to the list for a side dish for a meal next week and I will add the recipe for them then. They are amazing and you have to try making them yourself. 

Update: 
The BBQ chicken turned out great, my husband really enjoyed it. Was very tasty, not the healthiest chicken dish but does satisfy the taste buds and is filling. Served with a spinach salad on the side and some mother in-law zucchini bread for dessert. All together very delicious and took very little effort.

BBQ Shredded chicken
1 small onion diced
2 cloves of garlic diced
4 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless ( I made mine with both bone & skin)
4-6 hamburger buns ( feeds 2 people + leftovers)

Sauce 
1/4 cup of ketchup ( I used BBQ sauce, I was out of ketchup)
2 Tbl spoons of cider vinegar
2 Tbl spoons of brown sugar ( I used stevia sugar sub)
1 Tbl spoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt

1. Place onion and garlic in bottom of 3 quart sized crockpot. Place the chicken thighs on top.
2. In a small bowl combine and stir all sauce ingredients together. Pour over all the chicken thighs.
3. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. ( cooks well when your at work, just make sure your crockpot switches to warm setting when done.
4. Pull apart chicken into pieces using two forks and remove all bones if you used bone in chicken thighs. Stir into sauce in the crockpot, keep on warm setting till serving spooned onto warm hamburger buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment