Saturday, August 17, 2013

Biscuit Breakfast

Going to try and make Buttermilk Biscuits from scratch for breakfast this morning. I made then last weekend but ended up eating them all before anyone else got to try them. I will post the recipe here later. I am going to try for the first time to tweak and perfect them. They were a little too powder tasting if that makes sense. But still delicious.

To go along with the biscuits I am going to cook up some bacon and scrambled eggs. 

Yum yum. If we have room I also like to make bowls of cut up fruit. We have right now a peach, green grapes and some canned pineapple chunks.


UPDATE:

Okay the biscuits this time were perfect! You have to make these, super simple just a bit of time. I copied directly from KitchenMage.com.

Biscuit Recipe  Prep time: 10-15 min  Cook time: 8-10 min in oven
makes about 6-8 biscuits

Ingedients
2 1/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
4 tablespoons of baking powder (a little extra baking powder makes them fluffy)
1/3 cup butter ( cut the butter into small squares, easier to mix in with a fork)
1 cup of cold milk

1. Mix the dry ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl and then slowly add a few pieces of butter and smash into the flour with a fork. Slowly mix the chunks of butter in until all are mixed into the flour and are smashed into smaller bits. There are some pictures on the KitchenMage blog of what it is suppose to look like when your done including the kneading dough part. The blog used a food processor for this part, so feel free to do that instead of the fork. 
2. Once the butter has been cut into the flour mixture you can slowly add the milk and mix with your hands! The fun part. You will get gooey but its fun right? Once you have the dough kneaded (add more flour if too sticky) roll out onto the counter or cutting board with a bit of flour dusted on top. I leave my dough a bit sticky so that it doesn't come out tasting too floury in the end because of the stuff on the surface you roll it out on. Roll out the dough leaving it a bit thick for tall biscuits. 
3. I use a drinking glass to cut out my biscuits because I don't have a cookie cutter. it works great. If you don't have a rolling pin a drinking glass works just as well for rolling out dough like this.
4. Place the cut out biscuits on the baking sheet and cook at 425F for 8-10 minutes. Mine haven't browned on top, I tell if there done by checking the bottoms at 8 minutes. If slightly brown I pull them out. They are the best! 

If you have tricks for getting the tops of your biscuits slightly brown let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment