Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Dinner for Two Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup- good for the.....the love of cooking!


Okay, I was going to make homemade pizza for dinner last night but instead made a Chicken Noodle Soup recipe, also partly adopted from my old roommate. Her mom was a great cook and shared all her best and favorite recipes with my roommate when we both first moved away from home to go to college.


This was the best of all the times I have ever tried this recipe. I am going to try and make it like this EVERY time. It was super delicious and Kyle and I used leftover garlic bread from last nights Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo recipe.

Customize this recipe to your taste, if you prefer rice instead of noodles, or potatoes etc. do that. My previous version of this recipe has potatoes in it. Check it out here

Now, I have a small/medium sized cooking pot, I cannot make a lot of soup at a time unless I cook it in two separate pots. I have a list of kitchen stuff I want to buy and slowly I will add it to my collection and will be able to make lots of soup at once if I want. This recipe is for 2 people and usually I only have about a single serving left over after we both take two large bowls to eat for dinner.

Depending on what type of cookware you have, adjust by adding more or less veggies and more or less broth (chicken stock/ Better than Bouillon) for your personal preference.

What made this taste so good I think was using this product pictured below. I used slightly more than it says because the flavor was super good. You can adjust the flavor when you add it to the pot, of course you can always add more but not take it away so be cautious when mixing it to your preference. First thing would probably be to follow the label on the container first.

This recipe has a lot of notes in it, if you know what your doing, ignore! I just felt I would add all the little things I do when I make this recipe so I can do it again the next time.

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Prep Time: 10-15min Cook Time: 20min Clean up: 15min
2 chicken breasts small or 1 large chicken breast
Egg noodles (about half a large package)
1 small onion
3 ribs or stalks of celery (I usually cut the stalk in half and then chop into pieces)
1 large carrot (diced)
2 cloves of garlic (diced)
1 dried basil leaf (optional)
Soup Spices (pepper, salt, basil, oregano, etc.)
2-3 tablespoons of "Better than Bouillon"

  • This stuff is great! I think it is the first time I used it for an actual soup and I like it even better than the stuff in the carton or can. If you never seen it before (I sure hadn't until last month, here it is) I used this image from the Walmart website from a Google search. Remember to refrigerate after opening! This product is great because no leftover half used chicken stock container in your fridge going bad. I always had this problem and chicken stock is not cheap. Soon though I want to make my own and have it in the freezer. One day!

1. Cook your chicken on the grill or in a large skillet on the stove. When done set aside to cool on a plate for cutting up in to smaller chunks for the soup.
2. Boil the cut up veggies in water that just barely covers them with a small teaspoon of Bouillon flavoring, the carrots will take the longest so I usually cut up and throw them in first and let them boil on medium/low heat just barely covered with water while I cut up everything else, then add the rest of the veggies.
3. Once the veggies have softened to your preference, add the cut up chicken, spices and the 1-2 quarts of water (how much soup do you want to make and how chunky?) mixed with the Better than Bouillon Base, the container explains how to measure and mix it. I just tap in the 2 tablespoons of base into a large measuring cup and then add hot water, mix it up using the tablespoon till dissolved mostly and off the spoon and then dump into the pot. 32oz/ 4cups = 1 quart.
(For this recipe I did 2 heaping tablespoons of the product, then added 4 cups of water mixed in with it, tasted the broth once it heated up, then once I had added the chicken and noodles it was perfect).
4. Cook your egg noodles in a separate pot, I prefer this because I like my noodles al dente and slightly hard still and if I tried to cook them in with the veggies etc. they would get soggy. Cook them according to the package instructions but usually about 9 minutes works. Take one out and eat it once cool to see if they are done and to your preference. I then drain the noodles and add them to the bottom of the serving bowl and spoon the rest of the soup on top once done.(If you leave the noodles in the pot, add a small amount of olive oil and stir, this helps keep the noodles from sticking to each other.)
3. Bring the pot with the veggies and broth back up to a boil and then lower the temperature to simmer for another 3-5 minutes till the broth has heated up. All ingredients have been cooked at this point.
4. Remove the basil leaf, scoop the soup over the noodles in your serving bowls and enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment